Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Stickwitu

I've been finding myself enjoying the Pussycat Dolls' "Stickwitu". For those not in the know, "Stickwitu" features such innovative rhymes as "day, away, and say," "better, forever," "me, baby," and the ever popular "stickwitu, stickwitu." Clearly inspired by Nellie Wong's Dreams in Harrison Railroad Park, the song marks another step forward for cultural feminism with such trailblazing lyrics as "I must stick wit u" and "I'm a stick wit u." Of course, the earlier Dolls' hit, "Don't Cha" featured the anaphora "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was [hot, a freak, raw, fun] like me." I guess "free of venereal diseases" didn't make the short list.

At any rate, I'm just kidding. Kudos for marketing yourself well, Dolls. Maybe poets Garrett Hongo and John Yau can imitate and form a Britney and Madonna-like duet and go touring the nation.

I don't know if there are any Asian-Americans in the Pussycat Dolls (a.k.a. the United Nations of Prettiness). If there were, I'm not sure about the extent to which it would mark an advancement for our people. Maybe it would. I mean, who needs an Asian-American justice on the U.S. Supreme Court?...Oh, I get it now! "Stickwitu" stands for "Stick with you." They're just too fast for me, or rather, toofast4me...I should be making a post on football players who write sestinas in the near future.

1 Comments:

Blogger johnpesebre said...

Hi Roger,

There’s a Filipino in every part of the world. We know that because there’s one in Pussycat Dolls. Although Nicole Scherzinger’s name sounds German she has a strong Filipino lineage (her mom is Filipina based in Hawaii). But just in case some strange Asian “racial inferiority complex” tells you that that Nicole takes a backup role in the Dolls, no, no, no. Nicole is the lead singer. It is Nicole’s voice that you hear in “Stickwitu.”

Over and out. (roger that?)


Your urine-drenched friend,

J-Pee (Manila, Philippines)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home