Wednesday, December 29, 2004

A Little More About Me and Asian-American Poetry

Some people like to collect open-toed sandals. Others like to throw boomerangs at wasps' nests. I happen to like to read Asian-American poetry (using the most expansive definition possible here.) I've read A LOT of it, more than anyone I know personally. In fact, I doubt that there are that many people in the world out there who have read more than I have, but if you think that you have, by all means, let's talk! I'm starved for conversation about Asian-American poetry. I started a whole blog about it, for goodness sake! (And as we all know, starting a blog is clearly a cry for help.) Like I keep trying to convince my bedroom mirror, I have a life, you know.

One reason that I've read so much Asian-American poetry is that I wrote my senior undergrad thesis on the politics of contemporary Chinese-American poetry. (More about this on another day.) Also, I co-taught a pass/fail class on Asian-American poetry, probably the first ever at my undergrad institution (Duke University). I read every single book of Asian-American poetry at my undergrad, and then, needing more succor, traitorously snuck down Tobacco Road to our dreaded rival (UNC) to read all of their books of such poetry as well.

In short, Asian-American poetry is an obsession of mine. I don't smoke or drink, so I guess I'm compensating here. I'm in law school now, which I may or may not talk about since it seems unrelated to the focus of the blog at the moment, but pursuing an MFA or PhD in creative writing is not out of my radar as far as future goals go. But I'm pretty clueless about my future these days. Just enjoying life as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home