Sunday, January 02, 2005

A Personal Purpose

Why am I blogging about Asian-American poetry? I've touched upon it before, but I'd like to elaborate, since I may not have clearly articulated the relation of the blog to my own personal life. Basically, the reason is that I literally have no one else to share this interest of mine. No one in my family is really into poetry. Some of my friends are into poetry but not Asian-American poetry. A couple of my friends are into Asian-American poetry, but they've been busy and that's not what we usually talk about anyway. Actually, my whole journey into and through Asian-American poetry has largely been a lonely odysessy. You know, everyone at the cocktail party just loves to praise and slam Amy Tan, Maxine Hong Kingston, et al., but the guy who prefers Asian-American poetry to fiction just stands in the corner and talks to himself. So I could just whine about it. Or I could whine and do something about it, like I'm doing here.

Plus, I wonder if I'm the only one out there with a lot to say about Asian-American poetry but with no forum. I've searched for Asian-American poetry websites and blogs over the years, and I'd even started my own Yahoo! club a couple years back (where I had a riveting one-day dialogue with myself). I've always believed that there exists a community of people out there interested in intellectually and emotionally stimulating discussions about Asian-American poetry. And I'm hoping to reach out with this blog.


6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Well, you've caught the interest of at least one reader. I'll need to do some reading, no doubt, to keep up with everything you say, but that's never been a problem for me.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Roger Pao said...

Thanks, now I suppose we should try to get you into the "Asian-American" category somehow. Maybe if I somehow adopt you as my son, or somehow make you my brother, that'll bring you closer? :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Roger Pao said...

Thanks, now I suppose we should try to get you into the "Asian-American" category somehow. Maybe if I somehow adopt you as my son, or somehow make you my brother, that'll bring you closer? :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Roger Pao said...

Hmmm...why these double posts? Let me trying a test post here.

8:08 AM  
Blogger GK said...

If you are interested in Asian poetry in English, and not just Asian-American poetry, you may wish to check this out

www.qlrs.com

Or perhaps just come and take a look at my blog. :)

2:52 AM  
Blogger Roger Pao said...

Hey Gilbert, oops, sorry for the delayed response. Great blog! I'm happy that there's apparently a vibrant poetry scene in Singapore. At this point, I know more about Asian American poetry than Asian poetry, but I am interested in both. Thanks for reading and posting.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home